With summer's warmer temperatures, we thought a hot, spicy recipe was in order for our June newsletter: Chicken Diavolo — or Devil's Chicken. For those of you who don't enjoy spicy foods, try substituting sage for the chili peppers.
Chicken Diavolo (Devil's Chicken)
4 lb. chicken
1/2 c. cooking olive oil
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed and chopped
1 tsp. finely chopped red chilies
Salt and pepper
Fresh lemon wedges
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a shallow glass bowl. Whisk well.
- Rinse the chicken, then cut it down the middle of the breast and flatten out evenly. Place in the marinade, turning to cover.
- Cover the marinating chicken and leave in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, overnight if you can.
- Rake the coals from a hot oven in front of the oven opening, and place a steel grill in the oven for a few minutes to heat. Then set the whole chicken on a steel grill and place in the oven.
- Depending on the heat of your oven and coals, you can cook the chicken without turning. If either the top or bottom is significantly hotter, turn the chicken once. Grill for 20-30 minutes, or until done.
- Garnish with parsley and fresh lemon.